Monday, October 22, 2018

Shine - Joni Mitchell best albums #8

Back in the studio after years away, A sticker on my CD says "The radiant return of one of the greatest singer/songwriters of our time". I don't think I'd ever use the word radiant unless I was reviewing gas fires but I can understand and forgive whoever wrote that - decades after her first songs and she's still producing some beauties. To illustrate her quality, the first track "One Week Last Summer" won the 2008 Grammy Award for Best Pop Instrumental Performance.

The voice isn't quite what it was, sadly, and the songs are often harsher, reflecting the events that helped make her come back to speak out against "warmongering politicos and environmental myopia" (Paul Sullivan). Nonetheless, 99% of all known musicians must listen to this and weep.

The last track "If" is based on Rudyard Kipling's poem.


1.One Week Last Summer - 4:59

2.This Place - 3:54

3.If I Had a Heart - 4:04

4.Hana" - 3:43

5.Bad Dreams - 5:41

6.Big Yellow Taxi - 2.47

7.Night of the Iguana - 4:38

8.Strong and Wrong - 4:04

9.Shine - 7:29

10.If - 5:32



          
         

No comments:

Post a Comment